The Federal Government of Nigeria has provided succor to the abused Women and Girls in Ekiti State by constructing and furnishing 208 Bed Transit Home for victims of Domestic Violence and Abuse in Ado Ekiti in Ekiti state.
- In her address at the occasion of the commissioning of the project at Ado Ekiti on 26th November, 2020, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Sustainable Development Goals Princess Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire said women and children especially the girl child are always vulnerable to abuse and violence. She said, with the possible review of the Constitution women and girl child will find relieve with strict penalty to violators of women right and privileges.
- Princess Adejoke said the project which was constructed and furnished by the Office of the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Sustainable Development Goals (OSSAP-SDGs) was aimed at supporting abused women in the society especially in Ekiti State, this she said will achieve goals 3, 5, 10, 16, and 17 of the SDGs. She praised the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development Hajiya Sadiya Faruq for her commitment and love for the cause of women and children in Nigeria pointing that we will together continue to prioritized issues relating to women and protect them from abuse”.
- In her keynote address, the Minister for MHADM&SD, congratulates OSSAP-SDGs for the State – of – the art project which continue 200 rooms self-contained apartments, Administrative block, Crèche Conference Hall, Skill acquisition Centre (for Saloon, Tailoring, Photographic Studio amongst others) are clear demonstration of President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration’s commitment to the achievement of Global Goals.
- She said the facility is being commissioned at the right time considering the impact of COVID-19 lockdown on women and girls which led to the increase in gender-based violence, increase in sexual abuses, rape, unintended pregnancy, loss of jobs and poor access to healthcare services. She promised that the Ministry will continue to develop and support policies that will ensure more protection for women and girls and to implement a broader Social Investment Program in support of the poor and vulnerable members of the society.
- The Minister encouraged couples to as much as possible tolerate each other and always allow peace and tranquility to reign in the homes as this she said will reduce the incidence of gender-based and other forms of violence that affect the development of children stressing that SDGs can only be achieved in an atmospheres of peace and prosperity.
- In his address, the Executive Governor of Ekiti State appreciates President Muhammadu Buhari for choosing the women of substance to run the affairs of women and children. He pointed out that his State Government prohibit gender base violence by naming and shaming violators and urged that tolerance is key in coexistence and will make the society free from gender violence. He enjoined the First Lady of the State together with the committee on gender base to maintain the project and make it sustainable for the benefit of the society.
- The climax of the event was the distribution of twenty thousand naira cash grant each to 3,600 beneficiaries by the Minister of HADM&SD and the Commissioning of the State-of-Art project by the minister.
- In another development, the SSAP-SDGs commissioned and handover projects under the 2018 SDGs – Conditional Grant Scheme (CGS) in Ekiti State. The project cover four (4) Local Government Areas of the state Ekiti-South-West, Ijero, Moba and Oye spanning through the three Senatorial Districts of the State.
- She said the CGS which was introduced during the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) era in 2007 has remained one of the unique platform initiated by the Federal Government to achieve the SDGs in Nigeria. It is an initiative base on trust and partnership between the Federal, States and Local Government” adding that, since inception, all the 36 States and 696 Local Governments so far have benefited from the schemes.
- The SSAP said, the projects which were counterpart funded under the 2018 SDGs – CGS focused on two thematic areas of the SDGs which are Health (Goal 3), Education (Goal 4), Water and Sanitation. Pointing that in Education sector, a total of twenty-six (26) contracts, new constructions and renovation of existing facilities were awarded and 17 contracts new construction and upgrading of existing facilities were awarded in the Health Sector. Also, twenty-two numbers procurement were made to complement the construction and renovation works carried out in the Education and Health facilities in the four L.G.A in the state.
- She solicits for continuous support and cooperation as the facilities are being used to achieve the national policy objectives that will deliver on the changed Agenda for sustainable socio-economic development and should be guided jealously.
- In one of the Local Government Area, Ijero, His Royal Majest (HRM) Owa Ajero of Ijero Kingdom Oba Joseph Adebayo Adewole MFR, JP who delegated HRM, Oba Afolabi Joachim Adeyemi.
14. The Ojurin of Ijurin Ekiti appreciates the SSAP for touching lives with such projects and promised to take custody and maintain the projects. He however seeks for more interventions in aiding his subjects in the area of farming and enhances marketing.